The SENDIAS Steering Group ensures we meet national minimum standards for a SENDIAS Service, and monitors that we operate in an impartial and confidential way.
The Steering group agrees the objectives for the service and is made up of parent carers, young people, voluntary groups, and Local Authority Officers. The meetings are co-chaired by a West Sussex Parent Carer Forum representative and the SENDIAS Team Manager.
Below is the SENDIAS Steering Group’s Terms of Reference:
This document sets out the purpose and aims of the Steering Group, as well as outlining who should be on the group, the frequency of meetings and relationship to other groups.
Are You a Parent or Carer of a Child or Young Person with SEND?
We are currently looking for Parent Carer Representatives to join us on the Steering Group.
Play the video to the right to hear from Stacey, one of our Parent Carer Representatives. Stacey gives an overview of her experiences with the Steering Group and why she decided to apply for this voluntary role.
Is this something you would consider doing…?
- Would you be interested in supporting and bringing positive challenge to the service, as outlined in the terms of reference?
- Do you have time to join Steering Group meetings? – usually 3-4 times a year, up to 2 hours long and between school hours.
- Are you in a place where you can distance yourself from any previous SEND challenges you or your family may have had, and can constructively share your experiences to help others?
- Are you able to empathise and speak on behalf of other parent carers and not just focus on your own experiences?
- Would you like the opportunity to use your skills, knowledge, and experience to contribute to work projects that will continue to improve the service…? (this is optional)
If so, then we want to hear from you.
For an informal chat about the role and your possible interest in joining the Steering Group, please call 0330 222 8555 and ask for Heather McIntosh (Team Manager) or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org