Local Services (Health, Social Care, etc)

As you will see from our EHCP and Review Meetings page, some young people have an Education, Health and Care Plan (“EHCP” or “EHC plan”) which identifies their educational, health and social care needs and sets out the additional support (“provision”) required to meet those needs. For most young people, however, their educational needs are met within their college setting.

Depending on your individual needs, your health care needs may be met by your GP (general practitioner) or by other health professionals at your local GP surgery. Or, you may need more specialist health care advice, such as speech, occupational or other types of physical therapy, or support for your mental health.

Some people also need social care and they may have an allocated social worker.

Your health and social care needs may change throughout your life. For example, some young people do not need social care until they read the age of 18, when they transition from being a child to adulthood.

You can read more about Health and Social Care below.

Health and Social Care

A health care need is related to the treatment, control or prevention of an illness, injury or disability. Sometimes health care treatment is only needed short term, eg. to treat a specific illness or injury. Some people (e.g. those with a disability) may need health care for longer periods or even throughout their lives.

A social care need focuses on providing assistance with one or more of the following:

  • The activities of daily living
  • Maintaining independence
  • Social interaction
  • Enabling you to participate fully in your chosen community
  • Protecting you in vulnerable situations
  • Helping you to manage complex relationships
  • In some circumstances, accessing a care home or other supported accommodation

The health and social care system can often be confusing when trying to find the right support. Below you will find some information and resources to help you to find out about local services.


Click here to watch a video explaining how the NHS system works.

Click here to find out more about Health Care in Sussex

Click here to read the NHS guide to Healthy Living Advice

Find It Out centres and Family Hubs

The ‘Find it Out’ service is available to all young people in West Sussex aged between 11-19. They also support young people up to the age of 25 if they have additional needs (e.g. an Education, Health and Care Plan) or if they have been in the care. Their staff are trained to help you find local services, make referrals and talk about your needs. If they can’t find the right service to support you or you need some further assistance, the Find It Out Centre may be able to offer you up to five sessions with one of their team to work directly with you on what you require support with. Their service is designed to achieve the positive outcomes you want to focus on.

Click here to find out where your local Find it Out Centre is located. If you wish, you can then can visit your local Find It Out Centre for information, advice and guidance or, if they cannot help you directly, they may signpost you to other services in your area.

Learning Disabilities

Click here to visit the website of the charity Sense, who explain what a learning disability.

Click here to read about support for people with a learning disability living in West Sussex.

Local NHS services

Whether you are looking for a GP, dentist, pharmacist, optician or hospital – or something more specialist – the NHS website can help you.

Physical and Medical Needs Post-16

This link on the Local Offer explains how educational settings support young people who have physical and medical needs. Support for physical and medical needs is usually provided by health care professionals (see Health, above), and most people see their own GP first before being referred to more specialist services.

Young people with more complex needs will require personalised interventions and support approaches and specialist expertise. In schools and colleges, this is known as SEN Support and in some cases, if more support is needed, this may be provided via an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan). You can read more about SEN Support and EHCPs on our “Help at School or College” page.

Social Care: an overview of the Connect to Support service

West Sussex County Council is our Local Authority (this is often abbreviated to the ‘LA’). The LA website section called “West Sussex Connect to Support” gives adults (those who over 18 years old) information and advice on social care, which includes assessment and support for physical, sensory and health conditions.

West Sussex Connect to Support service includes:

  • Information and Advice on Living Independently
  • Information on the support available for adults with physical, sensory and health conditions and learning disabilities
  • How to access specialist equipment at home
  • Money Advice
  • Advice if you are caring for someone else
  • How to self-assess your situation before you contact West Sussex Connect to Support

Social care: how to request an assessment

Local authorities have to make sure that those most in need receive the highest level of support, and that everyone is treated fairly. West Sussex uses national guidelines called ‘eligibility criteria’ to help them to decide whether people have eligible social care needs. This applies both to people needing social care support and to their carers.

An assessment will help review what care and support you may need. It is important for you to be involved in your assessment. You know better than anyone what you need on a day-to-day basis.

If you are over 18, you can request a social care assessment through the Adult Care Point by either: completing the online form found on the West Sussex County Council main website or by emailing: socialcare@westsussex.gov.uk or calling 01243 642121.I

What’s your Reaction to this page?